Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Successful men's ministry

I'd like to share a series of posts on men's ministry that come from a book titled Effective Men's Ministry. It's more than I want to put into one single column and I think it will be more meaningful if I share these over the next week or so.

Give some thought to these and see if they hold true in your life. Your comments, as always, are eagerly solicited. And so we begin...


George Barna did some research in 1997 and identified seven key factors that unchurched men said would draw them to the the church.

1. Men are looking for meaning and purpose in life.
2. Men are seeking understanding of who they are and what they are thinking.
3. Men want solutions to their everyday problems and difficulties.
4. Men want to know God -- who he is and what he means to them.
5. Men want effective men's ministry that touches them where they are.
6. Men want friendships that are built on trust and that will last.
7. Men want help with family issues, especially training for their children.

It our ministry to men is going to be successful, we must develop a system that will help men to form significant and lasting friendships. Without vital relationships between our men, too many men will continue to feel lonely, isolated, and without hope. When building our ministry, we most focus primarily on establishing relationships, not on developing programs.

A successful ministry to men will encompass the following key components of a man's life: identity, friendship, God's calling, discipline, marraige and family skills, and stewardship.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I concider myself a young and searching believer, I am still trying to either find or figure out most of those questions.

1. Why did her put me here, and for what?

2. Why did you make me this way?

3. How can I follow you Lord and still make it through the day?

4. Who are you God!

5. Where can I get plugged in and be effective in your Church here?

6. Lord, can you please introduce me to good christian role?

7. How can I take your word and apply it to my family?

One resource that I have come acrost is the Moody Radio. I listen to it whenever I can.

The other day, Thursday the 16th to be exact, there was a segment by Dr. Dr. John Trent about Leading From Your Strengths. It is a book that helps any team or group work:

-Understand the four inescapable ?transitions? every ministry team must face.
-Discover the unique personalities and strengths hidden in your team
-Identify and reduce predictable conflict within your team
-Blend strengths and differences into a strong, effective ministry team.

"Building a close-knit ministry is not just a dream, it can become a reality in your church."

How can we, as a group, work to promote the kingdom through both our everyday lives and our church?

Deaon Hackley

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Steve J said...

It would be tempting to address Deaon's thoughts with trite, philosophical replies. I would rather ask Deaon (and others) to share how you come to terms with these thoughtful questions. After all, everyone asks them from time to time. Share some scripture to also give us insight.
Great thoughts, Deaon!
I won't "cop out" on you either. I'll share some thoughts later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home