Friday, December 07, 2007

Chambers - part two

Oswald continues in the Dec 2 daily devotional with the following;

"Christian perfection is not, and never can be, human perfection. Christian perfection is the perfection of a relationship with God that shows itself to be true even amid the seemingly unimportant aspects of human life. When you obey the call of Christ, the first thing that hits you is the pointlessness of the things you have to do. The next thought that strikes you is that other people seem to be living perfectly consistent lives. Such lives may leave you with the idea that God is unnecessary -- that through your own human effort and devotion you can attain God's standard for your life.

"In a fallen world this can never be done. I am called to live in such a perfect relationship with God that my life produces a yearning for God in the lives of others, not admiration for myself. Thoughts about myself hinder my usefulness to God. God's purpose is not to perfect me to make me a trophy in His showcase; He is getting me to the place where He can use me. Let Him do what He wants."

So as you consider the two halves of this devotional on Christian perfection, I'm curious enough to ask a couple of questions.

Do you consider many things "pointless" in the context of a Christian life?

Do you have friends or family that are living "perfectly consistent lives" that do not seem to need God? How do you respond to them? How have you effectively witnessed to them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home